ds30 Loader free edition forums
Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 - Printable Version

+- ds30 Loader free edition forums (https://picbootloader.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Support (https://picbootloader.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 16-bit firmwares (https://picbootloader.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 - mtuell - 2013-06-21

I have a Hobbytronics USB Host controller that came preloaded with software for using a USB flash drive and I want to change it to have the PS3 dualshock software on it. The website has a guide that recommended this bootloader, but I have been running into issues.

I am connecting to the board through a USB to RS232 cable, but I don't think that is related to the issues because I have checked communications using HyperTerminal and everything seems fine.

When I open up ds30 loader, identify the .hex file I downloaded from Hobbytronics, set the device to PIC24FJ 64GB002 (this is printed on the board), set baudrate to 115200 (on the guide), identify the port to be the correct one, check "write flash", press write, and reset the board, I get a variety of different errors that are different every time. I will do this process a few times and post the text here so you can see.

Initiating write...
Searching for bl . . . . (discarded null byte) .
Found PIC24FJ32GA102 fw ver. 0.0.0
Wrong pic detected(248)/selected(246), aborting
Tx 5 bytes / Rx 4 bytes / 2.3s
Write failed

Initiating write...
Searching for bl . The hardware detected a framing error.
Found unknown device id(767/0x2FF), fw ver. 15.7.12
Tx 1 byte / Rx 3 bytes / 0.5s
Write failed

Initiating write...
Searching for bl . . . . (discarded null byte) . (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) The hardware detected a framing error.(discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) . (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte)
Found unknown device id(736/0x2E0), fw ver. 0.0.0
Tx 6 bytes / Rx 17 bytes / 3.1s
Write failed

Initiating write...
Searching for bl . . . (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) (discarded null byte) . . The hardware detected a framing error.
Found PIC24FJ128DA206 fw ver. 0.0.0
Wrong pic detected(252)/selected(246), aborting
Tx 5 bytes / Rx 6 bytes / 2.8s
Write failed

Those are just a few examples; it really is different every time. The guide from the Hobbytronics website is using a slightly older build of the ds30 loader (1.4.6 as opposed to my 1.5.5). Could this be an issue?
Also, my window says "write flash" where the guide says "write program". Is this relevant?

You may be able to tell from my vocabulary that I am new to this kind of work; I'm a student working in a research lab. I would appreciate your help!

RE: Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 - Mikael Gustavsson - 2013-06-24

Hi,
The new version should work. It appears you have a baud rate mismatch. Have you tried a differnte COM port or a different PC?

RE: Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 - mtuell - 2013-06-24

(2013-06-24, 14:18:42)Mikael Gustavsson Wrote: Hi,
The new version should work. It appears you have a baud rate mismatch. Have you tried a differnte COM port or a different PC?

I have tried it on one other PC and got the same result. I also tried a different USB host board, but no luck.
I just tried changing the USB serial adapter to COM4 from COM3, but it didn't change the result.
While doing this I noticed an advanced setting on the computer's device manager for the serial adapter that let me change bits per second. It was set on 9600, so I changed it to 115200 like in the loader. I was hopeful, but this had no effect.

Do you know what I can do to fix a baud rate mismatch? Since receiving your reply I tried it with every available baud rate in the loader, but got no new results.

RE: Inconsistent Errors Writing .hex file on PIC24FJ64GB002 - Mikael Gustavsson - 2013-06-24

Since you have paid for this product I suggest that you request support from the seller.