Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flash memory cycles and 18F67J60, 18F27J13, and 18F26K22
Well, fair enough that the question of programming cycles on a pic is a bit off-topic on the bootloader forum, though I think it is important that folks here know that a popular microchip part has such a very low program cycle (from parts that we are used to having 10,000 cycles guaranteed, to only 100 cycles on the 67J60) -- it makes me nervous from a reliability standpoint (their claimed flash retention also dropped from typical 20 years to 10, so they are cutting corners somewhere in their flash silicon, IMHO).

But what about my question about the programming note I found in the datasheets for the two "J" parts?:

"To maintain the endurance of the program memory cells, each Flash byte should not be programmed more than once between erase operations. Before attempting to modify the contents of the target cell a second time, an erase of the target page, or a bulk erase of the entire memory, must be performed."

Does the bootloader do an erase before program, to keep these J chips happy?

thanks,

gil

Messages In This Thread
RE: flash memory cycles and 18F67J60, 18F27J13, and 18F26K22 - by teletype-guy - 2013-02-18, 20:55:07