Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with PIC24FJ64GB004 [solved]
I'd really appreciate some help getting the boot loader to work with my PIC24FJ64GB004.

I have ran into a few problems.

I can download the bootloader using my pic kit 3. The gui then detects the boot loader.

I followed the instructions and added the bootloader files to the MPLAB project, unticked the "confgurations bits set in code" checkbox and selected "don't initialize data sections". I changed the usrapp line to goto _main.

I then opened the hex file in the GUI and it said "The hex-file contains code that will overwrite the bootloader". Indeed it would. MPLAB had squeezed code into the space between the boot loader and the end of memory. I went in and adjusted the
program (xr) length from A9F8 to A350 thinking that this would cure the problem. It didn't and I still get the same error message.

I then tried to export the program memory up to 0xA3FE, and unticked the box for configuration bits. Now the GUI allows me to open the hex file and download it. However my PIC doesn't seem to be alive, I cannot see the debug trace in hyperterminal.

I read back the code in the PIC (using the pic kit 3) and the line at 0xA3FC has changed from goto 0x002766 to goto 0x00a400! This would mean the app is never executed!

Finally I tried to download the combined project boot + app in one go using my pic kit 3. (After turning back on the config bits) I still cannot see my debug trace.

As a sanity check I rebuilt my original (pre-bootloader) application. The debug trace is back! I can email the projects if that is any help.
Out of desparation I tried to download the hex file I generated prior to the "Integration in user application" step. It worked fine!

What is the point then of the "Integration in user application" step? Perhaps to generate a combined a bootloader+application file that can be downloaded in one go onto virgin chips?

Anyway I think the instructions can be clarified, that this step is not required.

Thanks for making a great, well documented, bootloader available to the public.
Glad to hear you got it running.

Thanks Smile

I will probably remove that whole section, thanks for the feedback.